Mark_Strawcutter <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Feb 1991 21:22:00 EST
>This form  of header is used  for all recipients which  have selected (or
>been  defaulted to)  "BSMTP  headers". Since  a single  file  is sent  by
>LISTSERV to  the mailer, with  multiple 'RCPT  TO:' lines, the  header is
>obviously going  to look the same  for each recipient and  not to include
>his local address  in the 'To:' field. This change  was made with release
>1.6a, to alleviate  the load on the INTERBIT gateway  (notably the one at
>CUNY). What is wrong with it?

How does one select/default to "BSMTP headers"?  Is it only if it's going
thru INTERBIT?  Our nodes request BSMTP-wrapped mail but To: headers say
me.

It all started with someone complaining that BITNET re-distributions of
usenet groups obliterated original from: and to: headers.  Turns out the
From: obliteration being complained about was just PMDF using Reply-to:
for the VMS MAIL From: (so REPLYs get directed properly).  They didn't/
couldn't see the difference between (limited) MUA headers and the 822
headers in the body.

Then someone started complaining about the To: Multiple recipients of...
being illegal (which was quickly squashed).  I didn't remember ever seeing
it on any of my incoming mail so I thought it might be coming from one of
the post-listserv re-distributions.

Anyone know the "real" origin of INFO-M2 and who gateways it to who?
Mark J Strawcutter                           BitNet:    MJSTRAW@IUP
Director, Systems and Data Communications    DNS (mx):  [log in to unmask]
Indiana University of Pennsylvania           Phone:     (412) 357-4000
Indiana, PA   15705                          "you can't nail jello to a tree"