Virginia Metze <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:45:20 -0600
> From:         Perrine <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > Please add ARCANA to the list of casualties from the GITVM1 crisis.
> >
> [snip]
> > The letter we received from the systems administration folks at GITVM1
> > indicates that they're going through the same kinds of budgetary
> > crises most of us at Universities are facing.  They have to cut their
> > support staff expenses somewhere, and a very visible and reasonable
> > target is LISTSERV lists for the benefit of individuals outside of
> > Georgia Tech.
> >
> > I can't blame them for it - but I *do* want my(our) list to live.

        This is an interesting development; I didn't realize
        that universities were figuring out what all of this
        was costing them ... Is this a widespread movement?
        If it is, we should all be agitating that America OnLine
        and Compuserve, etal, start providing mailing list
        services as part of their subscription costs...

        I would sure hate to see mailing lists die.  Though years
        ago I thought news groups were a smarter way to go, I have
        found the huge volume and high noise to signal ratio makes them
        less desirable all of the time.

        Are we seeing a fast moving trend here?