Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:55:21 -0400
Dan Wheeler wrote:

> You may remember from earlier discussion here that I've already been
> through this once. I installed 14.3 on the new machine, moved files, and
> then upgraded to 14.4. But I had trouble with the upgrade; not all the
> new files got upgraded properly. Now I'm in the planning phase for the
> upgrade of a completely different system.

I recently went from 1.8d/WinNT => 14.4/Win2K3.  Not sure why your effort had issues.

If you did a "practice" migration in the steps outlined above, then went back for the real thing, you have to (or at least should) uninstall Listserv before you do the real migration.  Leaving 14.4 bits lying about complicates, if not outright obliterates things when you try to put the older version back.

Looking at my notes from the migration, I did the trial migration as above, and fired up Listserv to insure things were working correctly.  You do have to tweak a few things, but once you have it going as a test case, stash a copy of a few files.  In our case, we also have LSMTP, we use Apache not IIS, List notebooks go into /LISTS, web indexes go in /ARCHIVE.  With that said:

* LSMTP:  config.dat, license.file
* LISTSERV:  site.cfg, license.file
* APACHE:  httpd.conf

Then uninstall Listserv/LSMTP, and reinstall the versions on the existing server.

Stop services on the existing server, move files over.  Swap IPs/names/cables/etc.

Copy over /LSMTP /LISTSERV /ARCHIVE /LISTS.
Install [update] LSMPT/LISTSERV.  For Win2K3, remove CTL3D32.DLL.
Replace configuration files saved above [edit hostname if necessary for your case].
Remove DB* IND* files.
Remove /ARCHIVE list index files.
Cross your fingers :-)
Start services.