Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM@WUVMD>
Tue, 4 Apr 89 10:33:07 CST
Before significantly increasing the load on listserv for processing global
commands, should we consider putting the overhead for maintaining a list
of a user's subscriptions at the user's end?

What if we had a front-end exec through which the user would subscribe and
signoff lists?  The exec could maintain the user's subscriptions, suspend them,
signoff globally etc and the processing would mostly be on the user's cpu.
Don't know how you would deal with the delay between a subscription request
and an acceptance, especially when list-owner approval is required, or what
to do about migrations etc. Perhaps the user might have to get involved here.

It's not as elegant a solution as the global commands but it might work for
people motivated to use it.  Only "power users" are going to avail themselves
of a netwide suspend, anyway.  This approach would be easier on the various
listserv host CPUs.

stm