Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 02:10:14 +0200
Let me recap how this works. The location of the archive directory
needs to be configured in three different areas (on some systems,
some of these steps may be identical and there are only two things
to configure):

1. LISTSERV needs to know where the directory is so that it puts
   the data in the right place. This is done through the LISTSERV
   configuration. People usually have no problems with this step.

2. The CGI script, which runs in a totally different "padded cell"
   context, needs to know where the directory is so that it can fetch
   data from the right location. Under NT this is automatic, LISTSERV
   stores the location in a public registry key. Under unix you use
   /etc/lsv-wa.conf. Under VMS, you define the systemwide logical
   LISTSERV_WWW_ARCHIVE_PATH.

3. In 1.8d, WA is entirely form based (in 1.8c there were many
   hardcoded screens). WA just processes forms which can be
   customised on a list level, and things like the location of the
   icons can be customised, for instance to use your own set
   of icons. You will find the location in the "Customise layout"
   screen. If you change the URL that leads to the icons, you
   need to change the default site configuration accordingly,
   from the LISTSERV administrator's screen. Note that you
   can change the directory without changing the URL, this is
   a mapping issue.

In the next version, step 2 is automatic under VMS as well. Under
unix this would require root access or a complex setup and it is
best kept as a straightforward one-time configuration.

Step 3 is also automatic in the next version, on all systems.
You can make 3 automatic in 1.8d by editing default.wwwtpl
and replacing both occurrences of '/archives' with '&+INDEX_PATH;'.
You need to restart LISTSERV in order for the changes to take
effect. Note that 3 only becomes automatic insofar as 2 has been
done. WA has no access to 1 (and shouldn't, it would be a serious
security exposure). Also note that any list which has been customised
with the wrong value of the URL needs to be recustomised with the
right value.

If you patch the WA binaries, you affect 2, not 3. I mean, with the
default.wwwtpl that shipped with 1.8d, you only affect 2. If you make
the change I mentioned above, 3 always equals 2 so you affect both
of course. I do not understand how patching WA could solve 3 since
the value comes from default.wwwtpl.

  Eric