Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 09:27:51 -0600
At 08:27 AM 8/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>So the question is, why can't I take the return value of a scan, put
>single quotes around it (because it has quotes embedded in it) and get
>it to delete the subscriber? I can't wildcard this thing anywhere but
>within the quotes which will cause the same problems. How do I delete
>the user?

Use wild cards as needed.  With this long and strange of an address, you
could probably do

del listname *xxx-xxxx*@*

and it'd be fine.

To be sure you're not gonna zap someone else too, do a query first...and if
the query returns only one hit, just do it.

>The second question is, if this type of address format causes this
>problem, wouldn't it make sense to prevent this type of user from
>subscribing in the first place? I have confirmation turned on, so it was
>able to send and receive mail from the user??

No.  And yes.   It is a valid address.  It just doesn't work well with the
commands.  But I usually use wildcards to reduce lots of typing of long
addresses anyway.  (and, yes, many I cut and paste).

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534