Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:58:31 -0400
On 3 Jul 2002, at 9:31, Paul Russell wrote:

>An individual can send the following command to an MJ2
>server to establish a logical link between the address from which the
>command is sent and the address specified on the command line.
>
>                alias [log in to unmask]
>
>Subsequently, the MJ2 server treats messages from [log in to unmask]
>as though they were from the original address.

People promoting this may want to provide a link to a more detailed
explanation of how this works, so LSoft knows what it's dealing with.
eg:  I sign up to the juno list from my juno-id and then alias my aol-id
to my juno-id.  Obviously I need to do confirmations from both ID's to
prove I'm not juno-id trying to preempt aol-id's use of the domain or aol-id
doing a forgery to impersonate juno-id.  Some subscribers need multiple
addresses because they can't control the appearance of their outgoing
domain, so the double confirmation could be double trouble.  Then there's
the question of what happens if I do this while already a member of the
aol list under aol-id, since this would appear to be a *site-wide* setting,
the server can't just convert aol-id to juno-id up front, or I'd lose my aol
list access.  The server needs to try to process the posting under the
sending ID and then, if it fails, back up and retry if it was an alias.

(Quits typing.  Thinks a long time... filters?  Multiple aliases to a
single account?  Alias to an alias?  Both?  Stop now... head aches.)

                                      -Kary