Mon, 28 Jun 1993 17:44:53 CED
On Mon, 28 Jun 1993 17:39:58 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>Sorry, but if I added a kludge to LISTSERV for each and every popular but
>broken piece of  software in the network,  I'd soon end up  with a broken
>piece of software myself :-)
Now LISTSERV  took some  time to write,  LMAIL was a  few months.  You've been
asked this several times so don't you  think it's about time to release a beta
version of  your MWAND  server? Sure  you have something  like that.  I expect
nothing more than:
  * correcting the Date: fields (eg when the clock was incorrectly set)
  * setting  the address  fields to  usable values  and to  what was  intended
    (quite simple  if you do  some heuristics eg the  case when there  are two
    recipients because the address was entered with  a blank - the host of the
    first is local and  the userpart of the second a  valid domain, well maybe
    with a typo but ..., then it's clear what to do)
  * matching the subject field to the contents
  * replacing n-th time copies of previous posts with hypertext links
  * handling all kinds of formats including NOTE, Profs, DecMail, X.400 et al
  * translating .snd segments to appropriate character mode representation
    like *doo-dah-dabidi-doo blip floing*
  * and of course  discard notes nobody wants  to see anyway with  a number of
    fake "geez  you're right" and  "I totally  agree" responses to  the sender
    just to keep him happy

Christian