Oxford Eric Thomas <ET@UKACRL>
Wed, 29 Jul 1987 09:59 BST
  There is strictly no solution to this problem. DISTRIBUTE considers the file
being transmitted as a set of 80-chars records, which are forwarded "as is" to
the  recipient, using  whatever transmission  methods are  available (RSCS  or
MAIL). So you  did get your Netdata-format file, enclosed  in a mail envelope,
and of course you can't do anything useful with it :-) No format conversion is
made. This  is the only  way that  multiple file decks  (DISK or CARD)  can be
transmitted to the  network. It also allows MVS users  to transmit Netdata PDS
data  sets to  other  MVS  systems without  problem.  VM  cannot handle  these
datasets  and could  not even  read  them onto  disk.  I think  that Doron  is
presently using  this facility  or plans  to. I  don't see  any easy  way out,
unless you can convince LISTSERV that you are NOT a mail-only node.

  Eric