Al Lilianstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:33:13 -0500
Jeff Kell wrote:
> Al Lilianstrom wrote:
>
>>WEBER,TODD C wrote:
>>

>>>I have an installation of version 1.8d that I would like to move to a new
>>>server.  Does anyone have experience moving the software and license
>>>files for both LISTSERV 1.8d and LSMTP 1.1b from one server to another?
>>
>>What OS? I've did this recently. 1.8d on NT to Windows Server 2003 and
>>then a upgrade to v14.3. It's quite easy.
>

> You moved 1.8d NT => 1.8d 2003 NT first?

Yes.

> Curious, as the docs suggest upgrade Listserv first, but didn't know if
> 14.3 would work on NT, or if 1.8d would work on 2003.
>
> We're on the verge of doing the exact same thing (1.8d NT => 14.3 2003).

LSoft support advised me to do the OS migration first. My upgrade
involved moving machines, and to be honest, the NT machine was not in
the best of shape so I didn't want to update it to v14.3.

What I did was (brief version)

- build a new server - w2k3 with all the latest patches and locked down
   as far as available ports.
- Install listserv and lsmtp. Do a basic config for testing purposes.
   You really do need the latest lsmtp code. Configure the webserver as
   IIS6 starts out restricting cgi processing. I had my own list creation
   scripts to test as well. Stop listserv and lsmtp services and set to
   manual
- I used robocopy from the resource kit to copy over the \listserv and
   \lsmtp directories from from the old server to new server and to
   create the archive folders in the web area. This happened every night
   for a couple of days to keep the machines in sync.
- On the day of the 'upgrade' I stopped listserv and lsmtp processes on
   the old server, did a final robocopy sync, and took the old machine
   off the network. Then I renamed the new server to the old server name,
   changed the IP, and started the services up. Before I had a chance to
   send a test message my users were sending list mail.

There were a few issues that were not discovered in testing that were
resolved with LSoft support. We still are waiting for a couple of things
to get fixed but the upgrade was worth the effort.

	hth, al

--

Al Lilianstrom
CD/CSS/CSI