Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:45:09 -0500
On 17 Nov 2005 at 21:02, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> We have started a National Network for Recovering Addicts.
> www.weinrecovery.org We would like to use Listserv for creating a vibrant
> community sharing their experience strength and hope.
>
> Unfortunately the server where we host our site has only mysql as its
> database.
>
> What functionality would I lose if I do install database support in the
> listserv installation?
>
> Is there any way where I can get mysql database support

You don't mention what operating system you are running on. If you
are using Windows, then you can connect to MySQL with ODBC.

I don't think you would lose any functionality by using a database,
only a bit of performance. The non-database lists are faster than
database-backed lists. The main reasons to use database backed lists
are if you want to maintain other data besides email, name, and
subscription options (in which case you may want to look at LISTSERV
Maestro) or if you want to share the list recipient data with other
applications.

--
Francoise Becker

What are your favorite LISTSERV(R) announcement lists?
Submit nominations by December 1, 2005
for the LISTSERV Choice Awards Announcement Award
http://www.lsoft.com/news/choiceawards.asp