"Barbot, Christopher" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 May 2003 14:34:41 -0400
Hello,
I've been having a problem with a weekly script I run to generate reports/statistics on my server.
This runs once a week and in the middle of the script, it issues a "go bg" command to restart the listserver and regenerate my listserv.log file.
What has been happening with the current setup is that it runs and generates the report but some of the statistics gained from the listserv.log.OLD file come up with zeros.
As it turns out, and after taking out the "respawn" option in my innittab file (solaris box), I've come to find that the "go bg" command hangs or something and listserv only partly restarts.  The new listserv.log file gets created and the old one is copied to listserv.log.OLD  Mail does get appear to be processed .. entries are logged into the listserv.log file (however, I don't think the mail is actually distributed) and the script never finishes.

If I leave the respawn option in the inittab file enabled, listserv gets restarted twice.
The listserv.log.OLD file is always left having only about 100-200K worth of data in it ... essentially the startup data.  The script then finishes.

Is there another way to start or restart the listserver to generate reports?
Is there something I may be missing?
I'll enclose the first part of my script just in case anyone might have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!,
Chris Barbot

# more run_stats
#!/bin/ksh
cd /export/home/listserv

# *******  Uncomment out the next two lines for production runs  ***********
cp -p listserv.log.OLD listservlog.$(date +%m%d%y)
compress listservlog.$(date +%m%d%y)
cp -p /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats weekly_stats.back

echo "              Weekly Statistics for $(hostname) on $(date +%A), $(date +%x) at $(date +%X)" > /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats

echo " " >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats
echo " " >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats

/usr/local/bin/lcmd show stats
sleep 2
tail -13  listserv.log >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats
echo " " >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats
/usr/local/bin/lcmd lists summary
sleep 2
tail -7  listserv.log >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats

#  *********  Uncomment out the following 2 lines for production run  ******
/export/home/listserv/go bg
sleep 5

# ********* These are SNMP statistics - They can be commented out if desired.
echo " " >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats
echo " " >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats
#/export/home/sscalsk/stats/sm.logger|head -13 >> weekly_stats
echo " " >> /export/home/listserv/weekly_stats
#/export/home/sscalsk/stats/smtpstats |head -5 >> weekly_stats

mailstats >> weekly_stats
cp -p /etc/ma/export/home/listserv/il/statistics /etc/mail/stats.bak
cp /dev/null /etc/mail/statistics