Jim McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 17:12:20 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Richard A.
Schafer" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I wanted to make the MAILBOOK list closed to postings except by
> subscribers.  However, the list is apparently gatewayed by
> [log in to unmask] to a newsgroup, and random people posting to the
> newsgroup get their postings sent to the list.
>
> Is there a way to truly limit postings to subscribers only, but allow
> the newsgroup gateway?

You can set the list to Send=Private, but there will then be two groups of
people. The newsgroup readers who will see all the posts, and the mailing
list subscribers who will only see a subset of the posts. Someone on the
mailing list may ask a question and if they're answered by someone on the
newsgroup they'll never see the answer.

The "right" way to do this is to change the newsgroup to be a moderated
newsgroup and make the mailing list be the "address for submissions." This
will cause all posts -- both those from mailing list subscribers as well
as those from newsgroup readers -- to arrive at the mailing list address.
You can then set the list to "Send=Private" and only those posts from a
mailing list subscriber will be distributed. Regular participants who
prefer to read the newsgroup (so as to keep their personal mailbox clear
of list traffic) need only subscribe to the list and then set their
subscription to NOMAIL. If you prefer you can set the list to
"Send=Editor" and set "Editor=your@address,(LIST-L)". This will allow the
subscribers to post and posts from other people to be sent to you for
approval.

By making the newsgroup moderated you keep the mailing list and newsgroup
in sync. The only traffic in the newsgroup will be that which has been
distributed over the mailing list. You don't have to worry about list
subscribers missing something important posted only to the newsgroup.

Of course, you also have the option of just closing down the gateway and
having me rmgroup the newsgroup.
--
Jim McIntosh ([log in to unmask])
American University