Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:03:40 -0700
At 3:06 PM -0400 8/28/01, Jacob Haller wrote:
>>I got no responses on LSTOWN-L, so I thought I'd ask again over here:
>>
>>I evidently don't understand Probe as well as I thought I did.  I
>>have two lists, one a sub-sublist of the other.  They are part of a
>>superlist heirarchy, so the superlist has 23 sublists which are also
>>superlists, drawing on about 300 actual lists.  The sublist is one of
>>those 300 lists.  The superlist and sublist each contain the
>>following keyword:
>>
>>*  Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(1),Max(0),Probe(1)
>>
>>We had reason to publish to both the superlist and the sublist within
>>the last 24 hours.
>
>By "publish" do you mean that you sent mail to them?  If so, which
>did you send mail to first?

Yes, sorry -- we use Listserv to "publish" email abstracting
journals.  I should have said posted.  The monitoring reports have
been discarded, unfortunately, but I was told the two posts were
about a day apart.

>>The superlist monitoring report listed 85 errors,
>>none of which were Probe failed.
>
>What do these entries on the daily error monitoring report look like?
>(What reason is given for them bouncing?)  Are these addresses
>actually subscribed to any of the mailing lists?

Normal bounces -- host not found, unknown user, etc.  All were for
addresses actually subscribed to lists.

>>The sublist monitoring report
>>listed 58 errors, every single one of which was a Probe failed.
>>There was no crossover of errors between the two monitoring reports.
>>
>>My questions are:
>>
>>Why didn't the superlist monitoring report reflect the same Probe
>>failed messages that the sublist monitoring report did?
>
>The addresses that bounced when you sent mail to a sublist should
>have been removed.  If you sent mail to the superlist after the
>addresses were removed then they wouldn't be there to bounce again.
>Could that help explain this?

Even with Delay(1)?  I thought this meant the list waited 1 day
before deleting the bouncing addresses.

>>Do superlists actually have the ability to probe the addresses
>>subscribed to the sublists?
>
>I'm not sure how this is handled.  I know that addresses on a sublist
>will not be automatically removed based on bounces resulting from a
>superlist mailing.  That doesn't really answer your question however.

No, but it's another piece to the puzzle.  Thanks for your help, Jacob.

Sherry