Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 25 Sep 1986 23:00 SET
  ok, ok...  I never said  I was  not going to  implement any service  area, my
point  was just  that service  areas are  STATIC and  should therefore  be used
only when links-distance is not sufficient... A few changes:

1) The notification  letter for  SUBSCRIBE is  now sent  to owners  cc: newguy.

2) You can now indicate a specific listname in "Peers=", eg:

     Peers= EB0UB011,CLVM,DEARN,MD40@CMUCCVMA,CLVM

3) You now have an optional "Service=" keyword. Format is "Service= s1<,s2<,s3>
   >>", with each of the  si being either a country name,  a node name, "xxx*",
   "*yyy" or "xxx*yyy".

4) MOVE,  ADD,  SUBSCRIBE,  EXPLODE,  support  items  (2)  and  (3),  untested.

  However, service areas don't work as  you might intuitevely except it. Let me
describe how they work and I'll explain why later.

a) If the guy is not from BITNET, a  search is done in DOMAIN NAMES to find the
   gateway's node. If not found, *sigh* peers are disregarded.

b) If we  have peers, and if there  is a peer nearer than us,  then the request
   gets forwarded to that peer. Service areas are ignored.

c) Now service area,  if any, is checked, and the request is  denied if the guy
   is outside our service area.

Hold on your flame a little while:

1) My experience of relay shows that:

    a) Having a SYNCHED  service area file for each list on  all the servers is
       impossible. You  will always have at  least one peer which  will install
       the new file one week after everybody. In the meanwhile... :-(

    b) Maintaining  a serious service area  is just IMPOSSIBLE. Because  of the
       unexisting naming  conventions on  BITNET, it is  not possible  to name,
       say, "BN*" to get  all the Namur nodes. You'd catch  BNL and BNLDAG too,
       and those  are in the states.  A comprehensive listing would  take about
       10 lines of  node names, to  be maintained  every time the  master nodes
       file is updated.  Not to mention the  havoc when a new peer  is added in
       the vicinity.

2) Therefore the suggested modus operandi is the following:

    a) Local-node-only lists set "Service= Local", e basta.

    b) Local-institution lists set "Service=  node1,node2..." or "xxxx*" (if at
       all possible)

    c) Other lists set "Service= country,country..." If there are several peers
       in the  same country, no problem,  the request will be  forwarded to the
       nearest one. As I said before, I believe that a decent links weight file
       should route people correctly in 80% of  cases, and is not a big problem
       to maintain because the same file is used in all the servers.

3) Another advantage: assume that postmaster D... at node F... is very lazy. He
   has a LISTSERV set with "Service= something*". Now YOU create a peer to this
   server, and realize that all your users get bumped to F... Not good... Espe-
   cially since D... never  answers your mail, nor does he  take time to change
   the list header, and of course he didn't give you privs on his list. In that
   case you'd  be very happy to  have service areas  the way I defined  them. I
   will of course try to avoid this kind of problems by not giving the listserv
   code to people who don't answer mail and suchlike, but you can always have a
   nasty surprise and there are also people  I couldn't refuse to ship the code
   to if they asked for it.

  Eric