Darren Evans-Young <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 17:37:49 CST
On Tue, 29 Nov 1994 09:51:00 -0800 Bebo White said:

>In migrating from VM, we are also migrating from Bitnet, so recently
>our postmaster added a :newnode.slacvm.slac.stanford.edu tag for
>SLACVM. It seems that since then things have begun to go haywire,
>including:
>           a) bounces of regular mailings from external sources that
>              worked fine before;
>           b) bounces of our Listserv<->Netnews gateway;
>           c) Listserv error messages for X-DEL jobs;
>           d) refusal by the Listserv server to accept mail or
>              TELL commands from owner/maintainer VM accounts;
>
>Any clues or advice on how to solve these problems will be greatly
>appreciated. Installing a new version of Listserv is not an option
>(unless that is the only solution) due to our restrictions on VM
>support. Please no flames re: our migration philosophy or the
>antiquated version we're running.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Bebo White
>Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)

Bebo,

We had some unanticipated problems here too.  The following is
straight from the source:

>LISTSERV-NJE  doesn't support  running under  a non-NJE  hostname. In  an
>ideal world,  you would  have installed LTCP  first, and  then everything
>would be working. For now, just edit  your local copy of BITEARN NODES to
>remove the :newnode, erase BITEARN LINKSUM2, and restart.
>
> Eric

Keep in mind that your node is no longer known as SLACVM, but as
slacvm.slac.stanford.edu.  I got screwed because I took LISTSERV
offline to update the tables (which included the :newnode tag).
Once the tables were rebuilt, I could not get it online.
TELL wouldn't work. Mail wouldn't work (remember, it's offline, it's
not reading/processing mail). Logging on and entering command from
the console didn't work.  I wound up having to use the GLOBALV command
to reset the offline variable in LASTING GLOBALV.

If you're the LISTSERV postmaster, the authorized id is:
[log in to unmask], NOT [log in to unmask]  That's why
all your commands are failing.

Darren