"Terry M. Combs" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jan 1993 14:47:30 GMT
Douglas M. MacFarlane ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: We are interested in putting-up a listserver here at ILS.  Is there a
: public-domain or inexpensively licensed listserver for Unix, either SunOS,
: AIX, or Ultrix?
:
There is UN*X Listserv software available from cs.bu.edu via anonymous ftp.
Do a cd pub/listserv to get to the area it is stored in.  There is also
an alpha version of a new release of the software which has loads of
features in it that make it a good tool for managing lists. We are using
the 6.0 alpha stuff on ULTRIX 4.2.

The biggest problem presently is the interfacing of VM Listserv list output
to the UNIX Listserv server.  Peered lists used to be the
method used by the VM listserv but this method generated too much traffic
so a method of "Distribute Jobs" was developed where backbone Listservs
receive the traffic for an area and distribute that traffic and forward the
received messages to the next backbone site.  Good idea.

You could subscribe the listserv to the appropriate VM lists but this
gets messy when users want to post, since many lists require the poster
to also be subscribed.

I hope this helps.