Harold C Pritchett <HAROLD@UGA>
Tue, 06 Oct 87 19:51:26 EDT
How about a LISTSERV War story.  This afternoon, my listserv suddenly lost
track of who it's network file server was.  It no longer trusted it's old
friend RSCS and stopped accepting files and mail from him.  I was busy fixing
a problem with VM/XA/SF (A FRE015 ABEND problem which had taken our entire
3090 complex (1 MVSXA, 2 VMSP's and a MUSIC system as well as a 5 or 6 other
servers down at least 3 times today) and when I finally got around to checking
my mail for the last time today I found all of this junk about denying service
to RSCS, etc.

I asked listserv to identify himself.  He said LISTSERV at UGA via *.  Ah, Ha!
said I.  Looks like a problem with the old SYSTEM NETID file.  I looked at it
and it looked OK.  I then did an Q CPUID and found that the CPU serial number
now started with a 2 instead of a 1.

Got to checking and found that when VM/XA recovers, he swaps the CPU's around.
MVS was now dedicated to CP1 and everything else was running on CP2.  When you
IPL normally, it comes up exactly the opposite.  I added an extra line to my
SYSTEM NETID file and now everyone is happy.  LISTSERV and RSCS are back on
speaking terms and I can go back to fixing my FRE015 problem.

The moral of this story?  If you are running on a CPU with more than one
processor, make sure you have an entry in SYSTEM NETID  for each one of those
suckers...

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, and everything is OK now

Hal