Tim Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:50:56 -0400
Side question off of this one. Is the probe a part of the "daily or weekly"
mailings or is it a seperate mailing? I have received probes from other
lists and want to make sure ours is not sending out extras if I add this on
to our lists. Sorry for jumping in here, but it is something I am interested
in learning.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Parker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 2:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Probe percentage

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:52:58 -0400, Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Now my question is, how do I change the "certain percentage" value?  ...
but can't find anything other than the 'Probe(days)' portion of the
Auto-delete header option that relates to this.

Changing the value for Probe(n) in the Auto-Delete= line is the only way to
change it.  The value of n is commonly though of as 'days'.  However this
only
applies if your list mails out every day.  What n really represents is the
denominator of a fraction of the list to be probed.  (The numerator is
always
1.)  If n=10 then 1/n=1/10 (or 10%) of your list will be included in the
passive
probe at the next days mailing.  If you mail every day for 10 days, then the
entire list will have been probed (unless the subscriber list also changes
substantially during that time).  If you only mail once per week however, it
will take 10 weeks to probe the entire list at 10% each time.

Since n is the denominator, higher values of n will result in smaller
fractions
of the list being probed.  e.g. n=20 then 1/n=1/20 or 5%.