Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:43:16 +0200
>Well, Nathan, I see that you understand the issue, but from a customer's
>point of view, it seems to be a flaw in the way listserv's backbone runs
>to allow a customer to unilateraly send bad mail to everyone on the
>backbone.

But the bad mail isn't accepted by the backbone, this is why you get all
these messages. This is also the most LISTSERV can do - reject these
requests.

The sending LISTSERV site is told it is part of the backbone and configured
properly. It doesn't know that there is a corporate gateway somewhere that
introduces all these problems. Even if it did, customers would never accept
code in LISTSERV that would make it shut itself off when it suspects it is
sending bad jobs into the backbone. This code would by its nature be based
on heuristics and heuristics can fail. I wouldn't buy such software myself, so
I can't expect our customers to do so :-)

  Eric