CCMRG@BOSTONU
Thu, 16 Jul 87 9:59:04 EDT
I guess this is directed towards Eric, but if anyone else has answer -
let me know...

When Listserv distributes a file - not mail - it must tag the file
appropriately for when it goes to RSCS. Well, from what I can tell,
LISTSERV will tag the file, and then if it is destined for a local user,
it will just punch/sendfile (whatever) that file to the local user.
The tag of the file sent to the local user is that which would have
told RSCS where to send the file to. When you receive a file from an RSCS,
RSCS sets the tag such that you can tell where the file came from.
So, since listserv tags the file and sends it to a local user, our
local users cannot tell the originating user@node of the file.
I also need to know the originating user@node to be able to return
the file if the user no longer exists here at BOSTONU -
(and this is an administrative issue if you are thinking of the whys and
wherefores).

Anyway, can LISTSERV tag the file to show the file origin for locally
distributed files?

            - Michael Gettes, Boston University