"Daniel P. Martin" <DMARTIN@UAFSYSB>
Tue, 15 Dec 87 13:40:57 CST

One of our employees recently returned to work after they lost their
eyesight.  This person has been equipped with basic tools to allow
them to continue to use the system (a piece of PC hardware/software
which "reads" the display contents and keystrokes to them) but we're
rapidly discovering that many of the system interfaces don't readily
lend themselves to being used in this fashion.

If you or any of your contacts are familiar with similar situations,
we would be quite interested to learn about what has been done to
simplify use of CMS in such cases.  Discussion topics of interest
include:

   * PC based hardware/software packages (home-grown or vendor supplied),

   * Changes to existing CMS user interfaces,

   * New functions (programs, EXECs, XEDIT macros, etc) which have
     been used to aid people in this situation,

   * Anything else you think might be pertinent to this topic.

A new LISTSERV discussion list, BLIND-L@UAFSYSB, has been established
to support further discussion on this topic.  I would like to encourage
anybody with interest or experience in this subject to PLEASE contribute
their experiences, comments and suggestions to this list.

Thank you,

Daniel P. Martin - VM & MUSIC Systems Programmer
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR  72701
(501) 575-2901