"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 14 Feb 89 19:10:43 GMT
Thank you for  your clarification, Niall. I had indeed  misunderstood what you
were trying to say, and I apologize for having overreacted.

Which  doesn't mean  that I  agree  with you.  First,  in order  to avoid  any
possible  misunderstanding, let  me  say  that I  plan  to  use the  (private,
non-EARN-owned) LEPICS CPU  to work on LISTSERV, and not  the CEARN 4341 which
is owned by  EARN (well it's more  complicated than that, but  never mind). So
the "EARN infrastructure" we're speaking about is just the links.

Niall's argument  is that,  since I'd  be using EARN  links to  distribute the
software, it ought to  be available to EARN free of  charge. If this rationale
were to be upholded, all software that  is distributed on the network ought to
be made  available to EARN  free of charge. For  example, if a  scientist here
communicates with  other scientists  in the  States, using  EARN lines  in the
process, to discuss the development of a new piece of thermocinetics software,
writes this  software, and uses EARN  again to distribute this  software to US
sites, he  ought to make it  available to EARN  free of charge should  they be
interested to run it. Well, I'm sorry but I don't endorse this rationale.

In any  case, my position on  this subject is  very clear: because of  the way
things have  been going recently, I  am no longer willing  to provide LISTSERV
service to EARN, regardless of whether they pay me for this or not (note: this
is a long-term decision, I am speaking about the days "after the contract gets
signed");  this may  not  apply  to the  individual  SITES  which are  running
LISTSERV today  and which  have talked  me (quite massively  I must  say) into
adding clauses to plan #1 allowing  them to keep getting LISTSERV support from
me, possibly  at a cost.  This has  not been included  to provide a  source of
money for me, and I'd be happy to remove it any time if there is a significant
amount of people who think it's  unethical; all EARN LISTSERV sites would then
have to get the EARN-supplied maintenance.

If  EARN has  legal means  to prevent  me from  making my  (new-)LISTSERV work
available to BITNET  free of charge while  not allowing them to  get it, fine,
there will be no Eric Thomas work on  LISTSERV at all, and BITNET will have to
either negociate an  agreement with EARN to get support  from them (Welcome to
the World  of EARN Politics!),  make up their  own volunteer support  team, or
whatever. If  the majority  of people  think it's  unethical, same  thing. BoD
members are, of course, excluded from the list of people whose opinion on this
subject will be taken  into account, as I suspect their  ethics to be somewhat
oriented on the I/O activity that would  take place on their purse as a result
of either option.

  Eric