"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:24:01 EDT
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:40:46 -0400 Jeff Kiesel said:
>So how can this problem be resolved?  If I participate on a list with 3,000
>members, I'm expected to endure thousands of OOO replies each time I post to
>the list?  There has to be a better way.

Only if they are all away and they run Outlook.  One better way would be
to run a better client.

>I've read the posts about telling the users to switch their subscriptions to
>digest when they are away.  That's a good idea - but let's face it - users
>are users.  The majority of them will forget to do this.  We shouldn't have
>to rely on users to eliminate this behavior.  The user also shouldn't be
>burdened with the additional responsibility.

You are correct.  Vendors should provide the solution, and since the vendor
of Outlook has chosen to disregard agreed upon standards, they should really
fix their bugs.  Since you seem to be a client of this vendor, maybe
you should talk to your client vendor and see what solutions they can offer.

>Has anyone used, perhaps, a third party tool like an smtp listener to filter
>out OOO replies?  I'm really grasping at straws here...anyone have any ides?

Since it is an internal list, you can give it a try.  Most modern MTAs have
some form of filtering.  Good luck with it.  I'm not sure how you'll do it,
since an OOO from UserA to UserB could be because UserB sent directly to
UserA or because UserB sent to a list that UserA is on.  Once you figure
out how to tell the difference between those two, don't forget to make sure
you filter using all content-encodings, plus the languages that a user
might choose to respond in, plus if they are capabable of changing the text,
don't forget to handle that customized text.

AFWEZIG IVM VAKANTIE

/ahw