"Eckard, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:48:22 -0500
Paul, thanks for that. I guess I still don't understand why this user receives the digested messages from over a 24/48 hour period as opposed to receiving the individual messages as they are sent. None of the other subscribers are getting them like that to my knowledge. These are helpdesk employees, typically student employees,  and they routinely send messages to each other to inquire about changing shifts/times to work. So, they need to receive them rightaway. I added digest=no, but realize that is the default anyway. I am awaiting her response to see if it continues. Thanks again!

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Russell
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 4:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: digests

On 3/4/2010 13:13, Steve Eckard wrote:
> Here I go again. Hope these questions don't seem to silly, but I ask because
> I don't know. I have a user who is subscribed to a list which does not have
> the digest keyword defined in the configuration. However, it seems she is
> getting a number of messages at one time indicating the digestification. I
> guess I do not know what the following means in that "users sign up for
> digestified". How do they do that and receive them without the digest being
> defined in the congiguration. It seems contradictory to me. Thanks once
> again.
>
> Users sign up for digestified rather than immediate delivery with 'SET
> listnameDIGests', while indexes are selected with 'SET listname INDex'.
> These two options are alternatives to MAIL and NOMAIL. When switching around
> between these delivery options, users will observe the following behavior
> (digests will be assumed to be daily for the sake of clarity):

Some LISTSERV keywords have default values; digest= is one of them.

	The list owner controls the availability and frequency of digests
	through the "Digest=" list header keyword, which defaults to "Digest=
	No" for lists without an archive and "Digest= Yes,Same,Daily" for
	archived lists.

Apparently, this list is archived, so it defaults to daily digests.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team