Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Mon, 20 Jun 88 18:19:03 CDT
   Karen Fortoul at CUNYVM pointed out that a burst of X-DEL jobs
hit the US this evening.  The wave seemed to follow the end of prime
time at each LISTSERV site (well - built up here until 5 PM CDT when
LISTSERV started processing them after Prime time).

   I counted 85 instances of X-FOR AHMET@TRMETU SIGNOFF * FWDED=2 ( NETWIDE
in our log.  The flood seemed to hit here around 16:26 CDT...  Of course
the flood of null acknowledgements from over 100 LISTSERVs, each sending
85 replies, will put a bit of mail in the queue toward TRMETU...

   Of course, I am assuming this is a burst which got released as a
transient and not a loop of some kind (I guess you would call that a
wave generator).  But I wanted folks to be aware of what MIGHT be going
on...  (Maybe this is normal 5 PM behavior - but it is the first time
it was brought to my attention.  I also think 85 netwide deletes for one
user is a bit of overkill).

Marty Hoag
ND Higher Education Computer Network    US Mail: NDSU Computer Center
Phone: (701)-237-8639                            PO Box 5164 / UCCS
Bitnet:  NU021172@NDSUVM1    (NOTE 0 = ZERO)     Fargo, ND  58105
ARPA:    [log in to unmask]
UUCP:    ...!psuvax1!NDSUVM1.BITNET!NU021172