"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:05:10 -0500
Hi folks,

I am writing to seek your assistance in, and any ideas about how to deal with a
person that I unsubscribed from Gambia-L, a mailing list I manage.

To give you a brief background, I took this person off the list a while back,
and he has now resorted to sending people abusive mail whenever they send
postings to our list.  Especially when people send in postings that are
critical of the present Gambia government.  Our archives are publicly-available
at http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html and you can follow some
of the debate and sentiment on the issue, by looking for the name is Matarr
Njie in our May and June postings.

Matarr is a Gambian student at the University of Malaya, in Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia.  I have contacted a number of people in the University to complain
about the problem, but was told that the matter is a purely political matter
they don't want to get into.  Matarr sends his e-mail from Hotmail and I have
over the past two or so months resorted to forwarding copies of insults he
sends me by e-mail to both the authorities in Malaysia as well as to Hotmail.
Hotmail has deleted every e-mail account of Matarr's that I've complained
about, but this is not enough, because Matarr turns right around and creates
another account.

It's now getting to the point that I can predict when next I'm going to get
insulting mail from Matarr.  As the person who threw him off Gambia-L, I have
become a regular recipient of not only his insults, but copies of those he
sends to other subscribers when they post anything on the list.  This clearly
is a practice meant to discourage, even deter people from excercising their
rights to debate other subscribers in a civil manner, and without fear of
retribution.

In light of these problems, I would appreciate if anyone can provide help, or
offer suggestions about how to end this problem once, and for all.  Given how
easy it is to keep creating e-mail accounts on Hotmail, and similar services,
the solution to our problem is in the authorities in Malaysia, and I will
appreciate any help in, or suggesions about how to bring pressure to bear on
them.

Finally, I will be sending this posting to the St. Johns Univ. list managers
list, and so I would like to apologise to those who recieve two copies of this.

Thanks a lot for your time, and best wishes in your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Katim S. Touray