Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:44:31 +0200
>As you suggested, I did DEBUG_FLAGS=1, recycled services, and ran the
>command time q * for nrpardee
>Here's the log entry, although I can't tell it's different output from
>when DEBUG_FLAGS wasn't set. Did I do something wrong?

No, I just forgot one of the flags :-) The flag I gave you will print all
kinds of internal info during startup. The flag that prints (a little)
additional info when executing the QUERY command is 4, ie DEBUG_FLAGS=5. But
the timings confirm my suspicion that it is the anti-virus software:

>VCPU=19.797 TCPU=130.625 T-V=110.828 SIO=2696 PGIO=65982 Elapsed: 133.907
sec (97.5%)

Even assuming the worst case scenario, there is just no way that opening
2,000 files would require 111 sec of kernel time. It's at least 100 times
too much. The only explanation is that the AV software is set for real-time
scan of all file extensions in the LISTSERV directory tree. LISTSERV only
requires real-time scan of .EXE in its TMP directory, but to secure the
system itself, I would recommend enabling real-time scan on the entire file
system for .EXE and the other "usual suspects," but not for every possible
file extension.

  Eric