Oxford Eric Thomas <ET@UKACRL>
Tue, 28 Jul 1987 17:40 BST
  I'm sorry Peter,  but you seem to  have a private conception  of RFC822. The
"Sender:" field is supposed to be  the physical network address that generated
the message. Like your boss's secretary or a friend of yours who's letting you
use his account. The "From:" is the actual human person who wrote the message.
You should note  that RFC822 allows a  "From:" with NO NETWORK  ADDRESS if the
"Sender:" is present:

Sender: Secretary office <ADMSEC@FRECP11>

From: Prof. Martin Schmidt

  This is of course not supported by most MAILERs (nor by LISTSERV) and I find
it stupid, but here it is. It clearly  shows what the sender is. And in no way
can I see the sender as being the  list administator, who has taken no part in
the redaction  of the  message (which  one by  the way,  there can  be several
owners). So if I  generate a sender, it must be either the  LISTSERV id or the
list id.

  I know  I have already replied  to your remarks  100 times, but let's  do it
again: you seem  to treat LISTSERV as  a MAILER. A MAILER should  merely add a
RECEIVED tag (and  maybe some more like  Message-ID if it needs  to) and leave
the rest unchanged. LISTSERV  is not a mailer. It receives a  piece of mail as
input and creates  a series of output mailfiles using  a particular algorithm,
but I don't  see it as a mailer. For  one thing, if it were a  mailer it would
not need a Crosswell MAILER to operate.

  LISTSERV is rather  a kind of server  to which you send  a command requiring
that a  particular text be sent  to all the  members of a particular  list. It
could do as  you want, and merely  add a RECEIVED tag. It  could also generate
RESENT- tags.  It could generate  new tags  like Origin-List: or  Newsgroup or
suchlike. It could  do a lot of  things with the mail header,  but presently I
chose  to strip  it of  all  the useless  junk  that makes  ARPA mail  headers
illegible. If you  want to keep the  junk then SET listname  FULLHDR, but this
won't prevent LISTSERV from generating a Reply-To and suchlike. By the way, if
LISTSERV were to do as you suggested,  the replies would be sent to the person
who wrote the contribution, not to the list.

  Eric