Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:05:26 -0500
> Date:    Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:12:39 -0700
> From:    Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: posts stuck in spool directory

[snip]
> The Outbound SMTP mailer in LISTSERV is very simple minded and cannot deal
> with 450 responses, and other forms of errors and will not manage its own
> errors and retries at this point in the process.  Those are all MTA functions
> that should rightfully be performed by the MTA and not by LISTSERV.
>
> In sendmail, the FEATURE(noncanonify) accomplishes this.  There is some other
> setting for Postfix, and still another setting for Qmail, and still another
> setting for other popular unix mailers.  If I knew what they all were I'd tell
> you.
>
> >450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
> >450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
> >450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
> >450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

Looks like some 'strictness' controls in Postfix.
(that are reasonably effective at stopping some types of spam bogosity)

You might look in sample-smtpd.cf for some help.
The settings for my (LISTSERV-dedicated) Postfix instance (YMMV) include:

strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
smtpd_delay_reject = yes
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_invalid_hostname,reject_non_fqdn_hostname
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_unknown_client
smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_non_fqdn_sender,reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination,reject_unauth_pipelining

[snip]
Ben wrote:
> The simplest fix for this is modify your go.user (add this line if it doesn't
> exist, modify if it does exist):
>
> RUNMODE="TABLELESS SWGATE.LSOFT.COM"
> export RUNMODE

Should swgate.lsoft.com be in DNS?
A simple command-line lookup does not resolve for me.

Should LISTSERV servers participating in the networked backbone
specify RUNMODE in go.user?

Cheers,
Glenn