Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Nov 1990 16:34:09 +0100
>Besides listname  FILELIST, and  listname FILEID,  is there  an internal
>list that LISTSERV keeps and checks against when refreshing a list?

No, the FILEID file is the internal list.

>If I delete  a file from the  FILELIST and refresh the list,  I got this
>message: "Error in LSVFILID for file xxxxxxx".

That message occurs when you PUT the modified filelist back, not when you
issue a REFRESH  command. Most probably, you have an  entry in the FILEID
file specifying mode D1, which is invalid.

>he took  the two months worth  of log file  and broke it down  to weekly
>logs, add the lines  for the logs in the CHINA-ND  FILELIST and sent the
>logs  to  listserv.  I  wonder  if this  can  cause  any  problem.  When
>refreshing  the list,  the file  attributes like  lrecl, time,  and date
>fields are not filled in.

He must have done something wrong, in  any case list archives do not have
to  be manually  entered into  the FILELIST  (you can,  if you  want, but
unless you put ALL  of them there the ones not listed  will appear at the
bottom, out of sequence).

>Do I need to update the listname FILEID file for the owner every time he
>wants to add a new package?

No, you  are not  supposed to  modify this  file unless  you have  a good
reason (for instance if  you want to define an access  control exit for a
file, or the like). LISTSERV assigns internal fileids automatically. Make
sure you  did not inadvertently  change the file  to RECFM V.  You should
most definitely not let the owner get or alter it.

  Eric