Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:36:05 -0500
At 01:13 PM 1/7/98 -0700, Ben Parker wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:33:15 -0500, Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
(snip)
>>I have added a sub-catalog to our site's SITE.CATALOG file to allow the
>>owner of (let's call it) ANYLIST to manage their own documents. Now let's
>>call the sub-catalog ANYLIST.CATALOG.  I have PUT ANYLIST.CATALOG with
>>these lines (skipping "*"s and blanks) to register a single test file:
>>
>>  put anylist.catalog pw=mypassword
>>  test.list
>
>If by the above you mean the contents of the 'anylist.catalog' were the
one line
>"test.list" then that is a problem.  There is a specific format of data in
the
>'anylist.catalog' (or any such sub-catalog).  Please reread Sec 8.4 of the
Site
>Manager's manual.

Actually I miswrote my original message. I actually used the name
"test.file" in the original sub-catalog and the PUT attempt, but I've now
changed it to "text.txt" in both places to be sure. As to Section 8.4,
8.4.4 states in the last unnumbered note that one can omit all but the file
name from a sub-catalog entry if one is OK with the defaults. Since I'm
just testing and the defaults are fine for my test purposes, that's what I
did. Did I misread the manual?

Just in case, I tried various combinations of the sub-catalog entry and the
PUT of the test.txt file. I used the changed name in the PUT command, I
tried the "file_name list_name" alternative you suggested below (you were
right, it didn't work) and I tried the full path name for the file and
entered the two FACs even thought the default was OK. None of these
approaches in the sub-catalog allowed me to PUT the file.

I still don't understand how LISTSERV will know *which* of possibly
multiple files by the same name in different sub-catalogs is being PUT
unless there is more than the plain file.name format on the PUT command.
For that matter, I can't understand how subsequent GETs will be
"understood" if there are multiple files by the same name in different
catalogs. (If file names must be unique [and hence all their names
coordinated by someone] across the entire site, much of the value of using
sub-catalogs is lost.)

(snip)

>>BYW, I am not the listed "PUT FAC" owner of the file (that's
>>OWNER(anyfile)) and have been doing my testing as a site administrator.
>
>This could be part of the problem, although the SiteAdmin, working from the
>admin userID/address and using the createpw should have 'super-owner'
powers as
>well.

I may have confused the issue here. I am a system administrator but I have
been using my personal password, not the create password. I don't see how
the different password though will provide LISTSERV the missing information
- which sub-catalog to "look at." So far I only use the create password on
initial LIST file PUTs and to change notebook frequencies.

Later.  Ed