Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:14:40 +1000

> But smtpl cannot send response back to the request
> originator although lsv shows that it is sending message back
> to the originator.

SMTPL is purely a 'listener' and not a 'sender'.  It's sole purpose is
to accept mail coming into the box and hand it over to LISTSERV.  It
cannot send mail.

Im assuming you're using a Windows box which means you have two options:

1. Point LISTSERV to an external mailer.  Your SMTP_FORWARD= entry in
the config file should have an IP address or FQDN that is not the local
machine.  And make sure the external mailer is set up to accept and
relay mail from LISTSERV.

2. Consider using L-Soft's LSMTP mail software on the LISTSERV machine
as well.  It's the only Windows SMTP software that actaully works
correctly on the same box.  (And don't even consider trying the SMTP
service on a Win2k or XP box....I have and it creates more mess than
dropping a dozen eggs out of the carton.)

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.