"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:41:37 EST
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:01:35 +0000 John Asher said:
>On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Eric Thomas wrote:
>
>> >Is this 17 (or 18) a sendmail limit? Can it be configured?
>>
>> Yes to both questions.
>>
>> >(If LISTSERVs  need this  many hops, perhaps  the sendmail  folks should
>> >raise this number so that all it catches are true loops.)
>>
>> Yeah, I think  they listened and then  say "Ok, we'll raise it  to 25". I
>> raised it to 40 on the machines I manage.
>
>Is this not more of a problem at the receiving end? For LISTSERV systems
Not just more of a problem, but the whole part of the problem. (Unless
you count the time of the person having to deal with the bounces.)
In my note to the postmaster, I tell them that THEIR users are the ones
losing out on legit mail, and I really don't care, but if their users
ask why I set them to SHORT header or delete them, I'll tell the user that
the sysadmin at their site needs to up the level, and let the user deal
with the sysadmin.  This seems to have a better success rate, but it
also caused the most hostile of the notes I've received.

>where the subscribers are all at one site, reconfiguring the sendmail is
>a viable option, but if the system serves recipients at multiple sites,
>then it is not really an option (my system has subscribers at around 900
>sites in 87 countries).
>
>I assume that the limit is to prevent mail loops, and I do not imagine
Yes.

>many e-mail postmasters reconfiguring their sendmail to suit a LISTSERV
>maintainer from another site.
I've had quite a few willing to do so.  Its just unfortunate that the
most popular(in raw numbers) has such a low limit. 100 down, 999,900 to go.

>John

/ahw