Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 May 2005 10:18:37 -0600
=== Forwarded Message ===
(Note from the List Owner:  Bill's question is very relevant.  Indeed, I
must forward his message to the list on his behalf, since the actions
described below have resulted in his From: address becoming spam-quarantined
at all LISTSERV sites world-wide)

Subject: How can the listserv maintainer avoid being flagged as a spammer
From: Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:09:37 -0400

I never saw any discussion about my question on Monday.  I still need
to send this mail.  Any ideas?  I do have all the addresses in a data
base, so I suppose I could send directly to the owners and not use
listserv or the -request address at all, but that seems silly.

 From time-to-time, I send messages to lots of list-request addresses.
The text contains the name and title of the particular list, but the
server still sometimes treats me as a spammer.  The error I get is

"The LISTSERV network has determined that you have been posting an
abnormally
high amount  of identical  messages to multiple  LISTSERV mailing  lists. "

Short of editing every header  and adding a loopcheck before I send
this mail, how can I, as the listserv maintainer, send out this mail?

An example of a recent mass mailing follows.  I would have hoped that
the specific list name and title would have avoided the spam
detection.  I sent 65 of these with different names and titles.

"I'm doing some end of semester housecleaning.  Can I delete the
L-THON-Volunteers list the you used a recent dance marathon?  The
list's title is 'All volunteers for Penn State 2005 Dance Marathon.'
It's very easy to create new lists and we can do so when the new
committees are formed for Thon 2006."