Xander Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:46:09 +0200
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Xander Jansen wrote:

+ On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, John Traweek wrote:
+
+ + After letting the logs run verbose for a while this morning, it initially
+ + appears to be a problem with a specific server (MX3.hotmail.com).  Any mail
+ + sent to that server is getting the 554 Transaction Failed error.  However,
+ + any mail being delivered MX1, MX2, MX4 appears to be delivered successfully.
+ + Can any one else confirm this?  Thanks.
+
+  Error-Code: 0
+  Error-Text: Mailer mx2.HOTMAIL.COM said: "554 Transaction failed"
+
+ This was last week. Maybe then the problem was with MX2 and MX3 (also).
+ The reports I saw this week all were about MX3, mx2 gives me a connection
+ refused.

Errm, the connection refused was (of course?) temporary. Anyway, the four
MX-records point to (at this moment) 5 different IP-addresses of what I
guess are frontends/multiplexors for a probably huge amount of
clustered servers. If the problem is related to one specific MX that would
mean a whole cluster in trouble.

Does anyone have a known working contact at Hotmail ?
--
Xander