Billy Grassie <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 22:22:25 -0500
Dear colleagues,

I need a quick tutorial on encoding errors.

For instance,  I compose a message in MS Word, save it as a text
file, close it, open it, select all, and copy-paste into Eudora to
send the message to the moderated list.  As Eudora queues the
message, I also always select "plain text only" option for sending.
It looks great on the way out.  I was doing this quite successfully
with NT List before, but NT List would simply reject any non-standard
ASCII text (for instance, diacritical characters used in foreign
languages, which was a real headache for me as moderator).

When the outgoing message comes back for confirmation by me as
moderator, hidden characters appear.  For instance "=20" at the end
of lines or "=3D-=3D-=3D=" for what was keyed as simply
"=-=-=-=-=-=-="  When the message returns after being distributed to
the list, it comes back with  messages like "12 encoding errors were
found. Turn on the 'Fetch' button in the icon bar and check mail
again to retrieve a raw version" (This is in the Eudora window).

Perhaps also of importance is that the original message, in spite of
my attempts to strip it to plain text, is sent out as "iso-8859-1" as
in the following header information:

Help, I can't figure out what to do to post these messages and also
to instruct my subscribers how to submit messages, such that they
don't broadcast with these encoding errors.  BTW no one seems to
complain except those who still use Pine to read email, BUT I hate
sending out errors to 3000 people.  Thanks.

Billy
http://www.meta-list.org