Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 21:47:26 EST
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997 18:28:46 -0500 Jim McIntosh said:
>The operation of the Listserv/Usenet gateway at American University
>changed slightly as of the new year. We changed it so that the gateway
>isn't listed in the post's header.

Aha!  That's what is now broken.  Starting with the first of the year, I
started getting complaints from usenet people that they were getting
the infamous "You can't post from this address" message for all the lists
that were send=closed.  We had subscribed "Newnews@auvm" with nomail set
and listserv was happily sending their mail with no errors.  Now I'm
getting deluged with complaints from irate usenet users who want to know
why they are getting these messages when all they did was to post to
a newsgroup.  They don't understand, and they don't want to understand.

We now need a new way for listserv to recognize mail sent via the
gateway and not require that the sender be subscribed to the list if
this is the case.

Harold