Douglas Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:51:53 -0500
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Francoise Becker wrote:

> I would like to get feedback on this feature. As an RSS user, what
> changes would you want to see in the presentation? As a list owner,
> what kinds of controls do you want over what is presented to your RSS
> subscribers?

This is nice... if only you had it before I wrote it in Perl. ;-)

You can improve performance a bit by including a lastBuildDate in the
header (corresponding the the last update of that archive). If nothing has
changed, no need to update the local cache.

It also helps the user if there is an optional image with a title and link
so they can be pointed to the server archives. I use something like this
for both:

<link>http://www.nyed.circ2.dcn/archives</link>
<lastBuildDate>Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:01:20 GMT</lastBuildDate>
<image>
	<url>http://www.nyed.circ2.dcn/Banner1.gif</url>
	<title>LISTSERV Archives from the Eastern District of New York</title>
	<link>http://www.nyed.circ2.dcn/archives</link>
</image>

You also want to fix the feed to use GMT for the date, or it will display
the incorrect date/time in most readers. Your message, frex, has this:

	<dc:date>Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:40:21 -0500</dc:date>

That should be:

	<dc:date>Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:40:21 GMT</dc:date>

Without the change, your message displays as:

	 by Francoise Becker on 1/19/2005 2:40 PM

but the source says what you see in the first case above.

This will prove very popular. Over 40% of my readers use the RSS
interface to access our lists.

-- DCP