Frank Laurijssens <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:54:23 +0200
I did some investigation myself. It appears like ListServ is formatting
mail-headers:

Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:22:21 +0200
Sender:       My Discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Frank Laurijssens <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: [LSTSRV-L] Exchange 2000 putting 2 spaces before every
              Listserve Subject line?
To:           [log in to unmask]

RFC 822 sections 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 do not clearly state whether whitespace
between Subject: and the field body (which is unstructured in the case
of the Subject field) has to be disregarded or that it belongs to the
field body. Microsoft apparently decided that it should belong to the
field body, whereas LSoft obviously decided that it is just
linear-white-space. This is where the spaces are coming from.
The whitespace in the middle of the subject (between 'every' and
'Listserve' in the subject of this message for instance) is a bug on the
Exchange side, it does not 'unfold' the Subject-field correctly.

Anyway, I cannot seem to get any information on this from Microsoft, but
in the meantime I started wondering why this formatting is done by
ListServ. At the moment, I do not see any benefits in it. Can anyone
shed a light on this?

FrankL