Herman Van Uytven <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Oct 1993 16:54:52 +0100
Hello,

Recently we had the following problem :

- We have a list with a subscriber that is behind an X.400
  gateway (the gateway uses PP).

- Someone sends a mail to the list : the headers are
  From: the user

- A list contribution is send.  The X.400 gateway can't deliver the mail
  to the X.400 recipient.  After 3 days the gateway send a message
  that it has trying for 3 days to deliver the mail, and will try
  to continue for Y days to deliver.
  Unfortunately, the message is send back to the list and distributed
  again, etc ...

I wonder what the current rules are (can't find them, and because I was
a 'listearn customer' for about 2 years I didn't follow all listserv
changes).   I guess that most mailers look at the MAIL FROM: tag when
sending such messages.

The X.400 guys suggest to use the list-owner address in the enveloppe
MAIL FROM:, because this is what PP is looking at, but as far as I can
remember listserv put's the list-owner in the MAIL FROM:.

So I wonder what went wrong.  Anyone any idea why PP did send the mail
back to the list ?

Thanks,

-Herman-