Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 May 1992 15:51:13 +0200
On Tue, 19 May 92 08:45:47 EDT Turgut Kalfaoglu <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>>this morning i found HEARN's spool  flooded with mails from LISTSERV at
>>MIZZOU1 and destination  my LISTSERV. it seems that  turgut (manager of
>>LISTEARN) has forgotten, or was not informed enough ahead of time about
>>the changes in the LISTSERV distribution topology.
>>
>This is what I wrote to another list on the same subject:
>Regards,
>-turgut
>
>No, it is  not broken, but was  not aware that a  major structure change
>was going to take place overnight, and  since its LMC only has an AFD to
>PEERS  NAMES, he  could not  obtain  this file  until it  was stored  at
>LISTSERV sites. LISTEARN also suggests that the two LMCs coordinate such
>changes so  that PEERS  NAMES can be  distributed simultaneously  in the
>future.

This problem  only occurs with  LISTEARN and is  not present in  the base
1.5o code.  Thus, it  is either  a bug  in LISTEARN  or a  design change.
Sadly, Turgut's note suggests the latter. A design change requiring me to
notify Turgut a long time in advance  every time a server is being added,
and  furthermore requiring  simultaneous update  of all  the PEERS  NAMES
files (and  thus an  infinitely fast  and reliable  network) in  order to
avoid creating  a mess is  not what I  would personally call  a desirable
change. My suggestion is to undo the change.

  Eric

Reminder: I am away until the end of the month.