Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 7 Dec 1986 00:23 SET
  Well... One  of my 3350s  just became  wild mad. Hopefully  it was one  I was
trying to copy a  volume INTO, not FROM. I eventually decided to  run DSF on it
and the poor thing choked lamentably... It assigned a dozen skip displacements,
about 5 alternate  tracks, and then came up with  a subtle philosophical state-
ment that would deserve to be kept in the AI book of records:

        ICKxxxxx TOO MANY DATA CHECKS ON VOLUME

  Thanks pal. That powerful conclusion is  worth waiting 30 minutes. But... no,
DSF didn't abandon the task. It  just restarted (without even telling me). Ano-
ther 15 minutes, and  it had come to the same  conclusion after reassigning the
skip displacements on the  same tracks. Keep on the good  job guy, try again...
But then  it ran  into a  worse problem. The  alternate tracks  themselves were
defective... :-)  I was  wondering whether  it would  assign alternates  to the
alternates, but it did  not. Instead, it decided to switch from  the end of the
volume to cylinder 0, all of a sudden. More good news:

        ICKxxxxx CYL-0 TRK-0 DEFECTIVE, PACK UNUSABLE FOR IPL

  I'll be running  the microcode diags on the poor  thing tomorrow. Meanwhile I
did not have time  to write a decent error recovery  routine for the DISTRIBUTE
function, so what it does when there  is some inconsistency in the tables is it
just distributes  to all the remaining  recipients directly. That SURE  can not
generate any loop :-)

  As I said before  I sent 1.5f out only because of the  fixes. There is no doc
on the  new features. Alan,  the Reply-to= Both  is implemented. Jose  Maria, I
have  not had  time for  the filemode  in filelists.  Udo, your  STORE problems
should disappear  with this  version. Richard,  the one-line  "clipped" message
problem is  fixed. Nick, you  shouldn't have any  more mail forwarded  from the
UCLAMVS mailer, not anything sent to it. Harold, DELETE (GLOBAL is now implemen
ted. Dick, setting  your release level to 1.05f will  automatically disable the
DISTRIBUTE command and have  an error message sent to the  invoker, but you can
also, alternatively, force INFORM=MAIL on  all files distributed by your server
by  defining a  new  variable in  LSV$PROF: DISTINFORM  =  'MAIL' (defaults  to
'USER') -- don't forget to put in the  GLOBALV SET too :-) There is a new hard-
coded GET  = NAD  code, and a  new GIVE command  (GIVE userid@node  fileid) for
file owners (it  bypasses the givee's GET  code checking, ie I can  GIVE a file
to  someone who  is not  allowed to  GET  it). I  *** TEMPORARILY  *** added  a
"if link weight = 9 then link weight  = 100" clause in LSVBITFD, but I'll do it
more neatly later and  will also allow for 0-weight links  (eg local CTCA link)
as someone  asked me. Kent,  Dave's problems with the  GET command and  the "#"
userid (or  Dick's "RSCS" userid)  from MVS should  be solved too.  Harold, the
Notify keyword  is now used  for the "cc: owner"  portion of info  mailfiles on
MOVE, DEL, ADD, SET,  etc. Kent, Scott, when 1.5f has  been installed by every-
body you'll  be able to try  this huge DISTRIBUTE  job again and it  should not
crash on GLOBALV's 255 chars limitation any more.

  Sorry for  the untidy  format of the  explanations but I'm  in a  real hurry.

Eric