Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Aug 90 14:58:45 O
>People in  the X.400 world produce  messages which contain more  than 80
>columns and send it to users in EARN/BITNET for example [log in to unmask]

In that case it  is not a problem, because when LISTSERV  gets a file for
itself it  will "RECEIVE" it (not  using the IBM RECEIVE  command but the
result is  the same). It  can do  that because it  knows the file  is for
itself, and contains commands  to be executed. If it is  sent in a format
VM  cannot  handle, the  file  has  intrinsically  no  value and  can  be
discarded. If  the deck contains more  than one file, it  is difficult to
"define" what  LISTSERV is supposed  to do with  it and this  is rejected
with an error message.

The problem  is when  the X.400 people  send it to  a list,  for instance
[log in to unmask] This arrives as a file,  not mail, and it can be rejected
if the list is  set not to accept files. If it  is not rejected, LISTSERV
assumes this is not mail but a file which cannot be distributed via mail,
for instance an object file. This  object file could be in VMSDUMP format
(which can  only be RECEIVEd on  a VAX), or  it could be MVS  object code
from a PDS packed  into a NETDATA deck that can be  processed only on TSO
because it  contains N>2 files from  a PDS, or whatever.  Anyway LISTSERV
does not attempt to RECEIVE the file, but merely forwards it untouched to
the recipients  of the list.  Those who can  handle NETDATA will  see the
text, the others won't; finally,  people subscribed with a domain address
which doesn't  map to a BITNET  nodeid (possibly because no  :internet is
defined) get  it in a mail  envelope, and the resulting  file can usually
not be PEEKed even  after your remove the mail headers  and repunch it to
yourself, either  because of EBCDIC<->ASCII translation  or because BSMTP
lost the character in column 80 because of a dot in column 1.

>I do  not really know  why those  postmasters worldwide (except  me) get
>those rejection messages and I do not know whether it helps to take away
>the ACK-option using SENDFILE.

It does not help  to take away the ACK option:  this is indeed desirable,
because  then  the  end-users  who  receive  the  file  do  not  send  an
acknowledgement file to  the gateway, but it does not  solve this problem
because LISTSERV does not try to  RECEIVE the file. The postmasters get a
nastygram because  the DISTRIBUTE  acknowledgements from LISTSERV  to the
gateway cause  an error  message from  the gateway  to LISTSERV  which is
eventually resent to the LISTSERV postmaster.

To conclude,  the problem is  purely metaphysical:  is the data  from the
X.400 people "mail" (ie text) or also  "binaries"? If it is only mail, ie
something supposed to be read by a human user, NETDATA should not be used
because, when  it is sent  to a list, it  may (1) be  completely rejected
(and the X.400 user will not know,  since the notification is sent to the
gateway userid) or (2) distributed in a form that many sites cannot read.
Instead, the  gateway should wrap  the lines to  reduce the LRECL  to 80,
which is what happens anyway on  most terminals when the human user reads
the text.  If binaries  are sent  in this  way, a  mechanism needs  to be
introduced to let the user tell the gateway that "this is binary code, do
NOT wrap it".

  Eric