Greg Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Sep 1992 14:42:37 EDT
I have another question (was a problem, but I resolved it another way)
about the way the local and service keywords operate.  Take a look at
the example below.

        Hello, I have been having some interesting problems getting through
to the list of late.  Apparently I am on list TECHW-L but ListServ will not
let me do anything with it.  I can INDEX TECHW-L but I can't REVIEW it or
send mail to it.  Here are two error messages I received from LISTSERV while
trying to access the list.  (BTW, the first one was in response to something
I sent to LISTSERV@VTVM1, the second was to TECHW-L@VTVM1).  I am not having
any problems mailing to you or ..... (that I can tell), it's just something
with LISTSERV.

--------------------- Response 1 Begin -----------------------------
From [log in to unmask] Sat Sep 26 14:12:41 1992
Date:         Sat, 26 Sep 1992 14:11:51 -0400
From: Revised List Processor (1.7d) <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Output of your job "janderso"
To: Erik Snapper <[log in to unmask]>

> subscribe techw-l Erik Snapper
Your name in list TECHW-L is already set to "Erik Snapper".

> rev techw-l loc
You are not authorized to review list TECHW-L.

Summary of resource utilization
-------------------------------
 CPU time:        0.083 sec                Device I/O:    20
 Overhead CPU:    0.010 sec                Paging I/O:     0
 CPU model:        3090                    DASD model:  3390

-------------------------- Response 2 Begin ----------------------------
From [log in to unmask] Thu Sep 24 12:51:15 1992
Date:         Thu, 24 Sep 1992 12:50:24 -0400
From: Revised List Processor (1.7d) <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Rejected posting to TECHW-L@VTVM1
To: Erik Snapper <[log in to unmask]>

You   are    not   authorized   to    mail   to   list   TECHW-L    from   your
[log in to unmask] account. You might be authorized to post to the list
from  another of  your  accounts or  under a  slightly  different address,  but
LISTSERV has no way to associate this  other account or address with you and is
thus rejecting your message. Your message is being returned to you unprocessed.
If  you have  any question  regarding authorization  to use  the TECHW-L  list,
please contact  one of the  list owners, whose  names and addresses  are listed
below:

 ...deleted...

*
* Ack=          No           Notebook=  Yes,X5/227,Monthly,Service
* Confidential= Yes          Reply-To=  List,Respect
* Files=        Yes          Review=    Service
* Formcheck=    No           Stats=     Normal,Service
* Notify=       Yes          Send=      Service
* Subscription= Open         Errors-To= Owners
* X-Tags=       No           Validate=  Store only
*
* Service= Local
* Local= VT*, *vt.edu
*
[log in to unmask] Erik Snapper

Why is LISTSERV sending the "not authorized" message?  I don't see it?
I'm sure it has to do with my defintion of "Local"  but it seems logical
to me.  What should "Local" be defined as?

--Greg Kroll