Allen Davis and Associates <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 May 1995 14:51:55 -0700
Dear LISTSERV administrators,

I have been trying for some time now to automate some
mailing lists using Majordomo, the MLM that my internet
provider, Netcom, provides. The biggest problem I've had
with it is that there is no way to completely disable the
"who" command: there's no way for people to receive our
mailings confidentially. We are recruiters and email out
lists of current software and IS positions to our
subscribers on a weekly basis, and it is important to many
of them that no one knows they're considering other jobs.

I read Norm Aleks' MLM Software FAQ to learn about other
MLMs, and LISTSERV definitely seems to be the most flexible
and powerful. He suggested that it might be possible for
someone without access to LISTSERV to find someone on this
mailing list to run not-for-profit lists for them. While our
business is not not-for-profit, the lists themselves are--we
do not charge people to receive our emailings. In addition,
I believe that these listings are truly valuable to those
who receive them. In some cases they help people find new
jobs and, at least, they help people in touch with the
market.

We currently have two lists that we maintain manually with
massmail. One (with full weekly listings of 50-100 jobs) has
1302 subscribers. The other (an index with just a two line
description of each job) has 84 subscribers. At the current
rate of growth, these lists could double in size by the end
of 1995.

This may sound like a lot of mail, but we want to run
"announce-only" lists, and we would be sending only one
message per list per week.

We would also love to have some space for archives and
associated files(one megabyte would be more than sufficient)
but we could also get along without it.

If anyone has the facilities and is interested in helping
us (or has other suggestions), please contact us in any
of the following ways:

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 413-549-7440 ext. 121
Fax: 413-549-7542