Kathy Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:49:02 -0400
I read the following on page 214 of the LISTSERV Site Manager's Manual
(1.8d, 2 May 2000, Rev 2).

> Note also that attachments sent by Microsoft Outlook cannot be blocked by
> LISTSERV as they do not follow MIME standards (at least not up to and including
> Outlook 97; this writer has not installed Outlook 2000). Outlook sends
> attachments as imbedded uuencoded files and does not use the MIME Content-
> Type: header.

Is this still the case?  If so, considering all the malicious code out
there to exploit Outlook, does this mean that there is a special risk of
Outlook users spreading viruses via LISTSERV, even if a particular list
is set to block attachments?

Curious,
Kathy Montgomery
University at Albany