Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:56:29 +1100

>A very good suggestion and all very real issues and benefits.
>Unfortunately we are not in a position to place any limitations
>on the requests that we receive. By the time we receive the request,
>it has already gone through a much higher chain of command and we
>simply execute. We do make "suggestions" for format, etc., that
>you do. :)
>
>Does anyone have a reliable method to post messages that contain
>MIME attachements?

Bill

as others have already mentioned, it's almost impossible to cater for
individual preferences in MUAs.  Why not look at the problem from another
angle?  Someone's already suggested putting the PDF on a WWW server and
posting a link to it but you said this isn't feasible.  You could try using
LISTSERV's archives instead.  There are two ways of doing this:

1. Enable a Notebook for the list, if it isn't already enabled.  Set
everyone to NOMAIL briefly, send your PDF to the list, set everyone back to
MAIL, post to the list notifying subscribers where to find it.  (You may
also have to check who is on NOMAIL before this process so that you can
ensure they _stay_ on NOMAIL afterwards.)  LISTSERV will put the attachment
into the archives and people can either grab it from the WWW interface or
order it via e-mail.

2. Create a seperate list just for attachments with a Notebook and make it
available to your main list.  Send the PDF to that list to get it into the
archive.  Post to your main list with the URL directly to the PDF _and_
include instructions for getting it via e-mail.

The beauty of this is that you are offering your subscribers a choice of
retreival methods.  In fact, ordering it by e-mail gives you the option of
having it sent as a MIME attached file or as raw ASCII for later decoding.

The only 'fly in the ointment' here is if your own personal MUA doesn't
send MIME attachements to LISTSERV properly.  It will probably require some
testing beforehand.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.