Brett Watts <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:54:26 -0800
Hello,

We found the cause of the problem to be with our STMP server in Exchange 2007.

For some reason, the SMTP address (with was a valid address) being used was causing certain message to loop inside of Listserv.  The only indication was the LISTSERV log growing very huge in a short about of time.

We migrated from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007.  When I switched back to the STMP server for Exchange 2003, all looping problems went away.  The strange thing is that the SMTP server for Exchange 2007 was set to 64000 as Number of Recipients.  That was the default setting for Exchange 2007.

I'm not sure what caused the actual problem but I'll put it on my list of things to do when I have some free time.

Thank you to everyone for their comments and ideas.

Brett Watts

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Loftis
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 11:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Why is there a "Too Many Recipients" message in SMTP Log File

No when it's in your ListServ logs like that, it's the SMTP server *you're*
connected to.  If it's in your SMTP server logs, as being say the hotmail
server connection, that's different.

--On Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:13 PM -0600 Andrew Bosch
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> More frequently, it is a limit placed on the recipient's server. Hotmail
> used to be notorious for that.

> It is a setting on the SMTP server.  You have to either change the
> setting  in the SMTP server, or, you need to change the maximum in your
> Listserv  (MAXBSMTP)

This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software.