Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:51:56 -0500
On 11/16/2005 17:16, Francoise Becker wrote:
> Paul,
>
> According to CataList, you are running the 1.8e version from May
> 2002. Here are the improvements that have been made since then that
> might help your performance. In particular, TUNE_MANY_LISTS was not
> added till December 2002 and has seen many improvements over
> subsequent releases. In other words, the TUNE_MANY_LISTS you have
> currently in your go.user is a no-op.

Thanks for the feedback. It appears that we need to find the resources to
upgrade to 14.4.

 > Use a test server that is disconnected from the network (so
 > you don't end up sending out emails), restore a backup of your
 > production server, upgrade it to 14.4, add the TUNE_MANY_LISTS
 > parameter to your site config, and see how fast it starts up.

The biggest challenge will be finding a test system with enough power to
handle the production load. The reason our last round of testing was done
with 10% of the lists was because the test system simply did not have the
resources to handle the full load. And it still doesn't.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator